Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Stepping Aside

Before the clouds opened up today and started pouring I spent part of the day with my dad, eating lunch at Once Upon a Bagel, going to Barnes & Noble to get a book and then heading to Sunset to do a little grocery shopping.
As we were going from place to place I couldn't help but notice how my dad along with other people who need assistance walking either with a cane, walker or wheel chair are treated in public places.
This doesn't apply to everyone of course and is simply my observation so please don't get mad at me for my post.

Our final stop was Sunset and we were lucky to park right by the door closest to where cars are loaded with groceries. As we were walking across the lot a women decided that her time in the car once her groceries were loaded was more important than waiting for us to get inside, she was slowly inching forward while we were still moving. We were in "her" lane at this point and needed a few more seconds to get inside. I didn't say anything as her windows were closed, but the reality of this specific situation has stuck with me all day.
Everyone gets older, some age well and don't need a cane, walker or wheel chair to get from place to place. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who do need help. These people are our parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins and friends.
It costs us nothing but a few minutes, even seconds to step aside and let them go first. I sure hope when I'm older people step aside for me if I need help or more time walking across the parking lot, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment