Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Downsizing at the age of Forty-Five, how liberating!

 
Owning a house was never on my bucket list of "have to's" I was concerned about being able to provide for my family including having a roof over our head.  It didn't matter whether I rented or owned that roof.  I had experienced owning a home with my ex-husband which we sold after splitting up and then I bought another house on my own for my kids and I in 2003.  We lived in that house until 2007 and then moved to another house that was closer to my ex-husband and both of our families.  Needless to say, I have been blessed with good luck and karma in the housing market!

In early 2012 after owning the house since 2007, I decided it was time to simplify our life even more and put it on the market.  I remember people saying "you're crazy, it'll never sell, etc etc etc.".  I knew one thing for sure; I was crazy if I didn't try!  I was so excited while signing the listing agreement and was looking forward to seeing the sign in the front yard.  The house officially went on the market the Monday after Easter weekend 2012 and went under contract about 45 days later, WOW!

Now the clock really started ticking and I needed to find a place to live.......and fast.  I wanted to rent a house in the same neighborhood since my daughter had two more years left at her elementary school.  As luck would have it, the house directly across the street from ours was for rent and it was my favorite house on the block!  I had never seen the inside but knew it was also filled with good karma.....I knew the owner, she was a single mom of three kids and was getting remarried and moving into her husbands house along with her children.  I signed a (3) year lease and was excited for a smaller "footprint" filled with charm and tons of character! 

Always remember you get to choose what you need to be happy, whether it's a smaller house, bigger dog or endless pairs of shoes, just work hard to make it happen:)











No comments:

Post a Comment